Sunday, June 20, 2010

Caramel

Apparently we're all out of dulce de leche ice cream, which, in case you were wondering, is an extremely delicious sort of vanilla ice cream with caramel swirled into it. Having run out of it is deeply unfortunate.
Oh well. I'll survive until we go to the grocery store and buy some more of it. Hopefully. But in the mean time, I'll occupy myself by discussing caramel desserts.
First and foremost is creme brulee (which looks kind of lame without all of the fancy French accent marks, but what can you do?). I was lucky enough to try some on a trip to France, in what was quite possibly the best restaurant I've ever visited (so on a side note, if you ever happen to be in a small village in the Alsace called Saint Hippolyte - there's a bigger town with the same name, but I'm talking about the small village - please visit the restaurant that is also called Le Saint Hippolyte. It will be entirely worth your while). For dessert, I had the creme brulee. That's a picture of it over there. They served it on a slate serving platter, which was quite cute. Also, no one there spoke a word of English, which made it quite an interesting experience. But that's beside the point. Anyways, that creme brulee was possibly the best thing I've ever eaten. It was sooo good. Sigh.
Flan is my other caramel dessert of amazingness. Also known as creme caramel. My mother can make delicious flan, smooth and creamy and caramel-y and... sigh, again. There's also this little Mexican restaurant not far from here that serves amazing flan.
By the way, did you know that if you type "caramel" into Google, the first suggestion that comes up is "caramelized onions?" What the heck is a caramelized onion?

2 comments:

  1. A carmelized onion is a lightly sauteed, often white onion that turns translucent, then brown in color. Like regular onions, however, they are still yucky. Some people like them with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yuuuuuuuuumy I wish I had some creme de la leche ice cream.

    ReplyDelete