Tuesday, August 17, 2010

And They're Off!

The cross country (xc for us cool people) season started yesterday at 12:00 a.m. No, I am not joking. We strange but interesting people of the LFHS cross country team gathered at the athletic campus Sunday evening so that we could go for a nice little run at midnight. And then we had practice again at 8:00 a.m. We had practice again this morning. And tomorrow is a time trial, which can be translated as Two-Miles-Of-Death. Yes, only two miles - but two nasty miles. I loathe races and time trials with the passion of someone who deeply loathes something (unfortunately, my ability to come up with good metaphors has gone on a last-minute vacation, and won't return until an unspecified date).
And what have we learned during these first two days of my last-ever high school season of cross country? We have learned, basically, that there are evil little blood-thirsty mosquitoes absolutely everywhere, and that the current most effective incentive to run is to tell oneself repeatedly that running faster will result in less mosquito bites. Which is not to say that I don't come home from practice looking like a sheet of bubble wrap anyways, but whatever.
But other than that, it's pretty nice to be back. It looks like I'm really going to make it through four seasons of cross country, like I decided way back during freshman year (which reminds me, unrelately, that my little brother is a freshman this year. Muahahahaha...).

No comments:

Post a Comment