Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Stop Your Analysis!


As I'm sure you know, English classes seem to exist to analyze the daylight out of all sorts of poor, unsuspecting books. Read... annotate... write essays... analyze. Fun, fun, fun. Not. I'm of the personal opinion that no one actually cares what the author meant or wanted, though. The analytic readers of the world simply attempt to pull symbolism out of books, even when there is none.
I recall that last year, a whole bunch of classes - mine not included - read Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I've got a copy of it in front of me now, and I will quote from the very first page:
"NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. By order of the author per G. G., Chief of Ordnance."
Now, let me point something out: this notice has unquestionably been blatantly ignored by English teachers everywhere. Obviously, no one listens to the author, even if the author includes a very conspicuous note stating that those who analyze will be shot. Shot. Do you want to be shot? I didn't think so. So, should you be one of those people who likes to analyze, stop. Unless you happen to enjoy persecution from the U.S. Army Ordnance Corps. In which case I wish you much joy and happiness.
With regards to the book-writing business, so far so not good. No ideas, no inspiration, no nothing. Oh well. Wait and see, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment